Just to clear something up, this isn't in order and neither is it my top 30 film moments, these are just 30 moments in films that make you go "Hell yeah!". So, here for your complete lack of pleasure are another 10! Incidentally, there are probably spoilers ahead so for the first time I ever I unveil my Spoiler warning.

No-one will get that. Let's get to it then.
11. Grosse Pointe Blank - Let's start off with some absolutely horrific violence. Fighting is always good in films and comics. In real life, I am not so keen on the pointless violence but it's hard to deny the allure of watching people go mental with the kicking and stuff in fiction. It's very uncivilised of me yes, and not very progressive but part (well, most) of my brain is wired to go "Damn! That rocks!" And this my friends, rocks.
Holy shiznit. Y'all see that? John Cusack (who is a candiadate for celebrities I would be gay for) kills a guy with a pen after some terrifyingly vicious kickboxing. This fight is considered by many to be the best in film history, and it's hard to fault people who think that. Part of it has got to be the contrast which is used well in the film, light hearted comedy and romance paired up with people getting genuinely messed up. Other uses of pens in cinema history include Goldeneye and Casino.
12. Goodfellas - I tease you with Casino and your brain only goes one way. Go on, then here you go...
Wow! Swearing is big and clever! Not only is this scene funny but it's a masterclass in terror. Joe Pesci is on top form form as grade A psycho. The scene may have been parodied to death but it's still burned into the minds of the cinema loving public. This scene is part of the reason why Goodfellas should have won Best Picture. Yet another travesty in the history of the Academy Awards. *coughmarissatomeicough*
13. Game Of Death - Everyone has their own favourite martial artist. Much as I love the likes of Donnie Yuen, Jet Li and Jackie Chan (and despite my Grandma's inexplicable crush on Sammo) Bruce Lee is the martial artist. Come on, he's just plain nails. People may line up to fight him one by one and his legend probably oversells his talent but he's the one who brought kung-fu films to us all. It seemed like there was no-one who could possibly stop him. No matter how much someone was built up against him, he'd always prevail. We just couldn't take any villain seriously. Until...
Bruce Lee should not have won that fight. Ok, Kareem may get choked out but he still manages to slam Bruce through a bench whilst being strangled. And the noises he makles are 40% less silly than those coming from Bruce. When he throws that punch and sends Bruce flying is when you start rooting for the bad guy over the hero and that right there is where Kareem Abdul Jabbar became a God and replaced Doctor J as the greatest backetball player of all time. I'm not talking on the court, I'm just talking in terms of awesomeness. If I ever ran an evil organisation Kareem would be Henchman #1. Jean Paul Gaultier would be Henchman #2 but I'm not going to go into that right now.
14. Taxi 2 - And speaking of the French, here's one of their better films. Hell, I actually wanted a different bit from the first film to use as a clip here, but unfortunately I can't seem to find it up on YouTube so we'll just have to make do with the third greatest moment in French film history. If you are unfamiliar with the first film it concerns the world's fastest taxi driver helping the police against a gang of German thieves. Here is the opening to number 2.
Car chases are always a good thing to throw in a film, but there's something special about a rally car being overtaken by a taxi.
15. An American Werewolf In London - A great film throughout despite the fact that they take David to London rather than Leeds General. Anyway, thefilm is packed with awesome although my favourite bit is Brian Glover.
Perfect. Joke. Delivery. Probably the only time I'd ever feel happy praising a Yorkshireman being such a proud Lancastrian but you can't fault the way he tells it. Damn, that Glover has skillz to pay the billz. Or at least put a significant downpayment on them.
16. Se7en - A film that I swear should be known as SeSevenEn because of the stupid use of a number in the middle of the word. It doesn't even look like a V! Maybe at 90 degrees or if you're stoned but come on, for a worldwide release? What the hell?! Anyway, here's another great scene and awesome moment from Hollywood, the climactic and spectacularly acted ending to Se7en.
Ha ha ha! You all thought the joke one was coming at number 30! Psyche! Man, the ending to Se7en sucks.
Worst.
Acting.
Ever.
17. Aladdin - From the second best film ever (if you want to know number one, check out part 3) here's the best song from the film.
I defy you to not go away singing that.
"#He's got the monkeys! Let's see the monkeys!"
18. Apocalypse Now - We're on the big guns now, here's the most awe-inspiring moment in the 4th greatest film ever.
Sure, it's on about the atrocities comitted during the Vietnam war, but when you see this on the big screen you can't help but be blown away by the experience. It may be my 4th favourite film ever but it's number 1 in the cinema. And I don't even like German opera.
19. South Park The Movie: Bigger, Longer and Uncut - Proving that musicals don't have to be paint-by-the-numbers blandosity.
Being the sort of guy who mocks the whole "Won't somebody think of the children" type mentality, I love this piece of satire. It pretty much sums up what is wrong with the world today, "#We must blame them and cause a fuss, before somebody thinks of blaming US!" Fuck parents. Just because y'all had a kid, doesn't make you special. Try fucking parenting for a change. Video games, TV, movies or rap music don't make kids fuck up, it's a lack of parenting skillls. I've made many mistakes in my life so far and I'll no doubt make many nmre but the responsibility lies solely at my feet, don't try and pawn it off onto some scapegoat. Damn, stuff like that makes me angry. Sorry if I got all preachy there, but I'm drunk now and I find it harder to refrain from righteous anger.
20. Brotherhood Of The Wolf - And just in case you were wondering from earlier on, here is the greatest moment in French film history.
That is Mark Dacascos playing a Native American ninja who is assistant to a biologist hunting a werewolf that is actually a lion in semi robotic armour in pre-revolutionary France. This is why it bugs me when people knock the French. If you can find a character concept stronger than that one I will happily accept all erroneous accusations of cowardice. Hell, Captain America
That's it for part 2. Make sure you head on back in the next couple of days for part 3 which will include, ooh, let me see... dinosaurs, robots and Kareem Abdul Jabbar!
1 comment:
marc dacascos. fucking. rocks.
Post a Comment